Exercises to build strength and mobility in your back.
Backs, one of the main reasons people find their way into my Pilates classes is because of aches and pains in their backs. GP’s are now seeing the benefits of prescribing Pilates for back problems and I can speak from experience after spending months with a bad back that Pilates is so beneficial to building a strong back.
Here are three great exercises that you can try at home to mobilise and relieve achiness in your back.
- Wall Shoulder Stretch
- Stand feet hip width apart
- Clasps your hands together
- Place your elbows and hands on the wall
- Gradually lean into the wall and move your elbows gradually up the wall
- Hold when you feel the stretch
- Repeat 5 to 8 times
2. Sitting Shoulder Shrugs
This is a simple but highly effective way of releasing tension in your upper back. If you suffer from tension headaches this may help although you should always seek medical advice on these matters.
- Sitting tall
- Shrug one should
- Roll that shoulder back
- Lean your ear towards the rolled back shoulder
- To your face to the ceiling
- Hold for 10 seconds repeat 4 to 6 times
- Repeat on other side
3. Hip and Back Stretch
This stretch is so delicious although it is called hip and back I also get a nice calf stretch with this one!
- Lengthen your right leg out, bring the other foot to flat on the floor next to the knee of the straight leg
- For added piriformis activation take the left foot over the right leg
- Sit tall and rotate away from the knee, hugging the knee with the opposite arm
- Hold for 30 seconds
- Next bring the flat foot back to the left side of the knee (if you had crossed it over the other leg)
- Let the knee of the left leg fall out to the side, you can support with a cushion if you need to
- Reach your left arm into the sky
- Take your right hand behind you for support
- Bend forward and over the straight leg holding on the side or foot of the right leg
- Push your knees towards the floor
- Hold for 30 / 60 seconds
- Repeat on other side
My back care program gives you the opportunity for you to treat your own back from the comfort of your home. With simple to follow gentle Pilates exercises that will help with mobility as well as releasing tension and building strength. Use the warm up playlist to add nice gentle warming exercises before your main session or head straight to the 60 minute workouts.Favorite