This weeks stretch of the week is mermaid stretch. Perfect for stretching out your side abdominals and trunk muscles. It also helps to lengthen the lower muscles of the back and chest. This stretch is good for lower back pain, shoulder issues and swimmers shoulder.
- Start sitting on your hip
- Knees are bent and legs are folded on top of one another facing behind you
- Place your elbow / hand on the mat beside you
- Stretch the opposite arm up and over your head, as far as you can reach, hold and breathe
- Next, stretch the same arm over to the other side of your body, hold and breathe
- Repeat on the other side
If you find this uncomfortable on your knees you could place a pillow underneath them.