- December 04, 2020
Side lying Iliotibial Band Stretch
How to stretch out your Iliotibial Band (IT).
Stretching out your IT is the best way to reduce your chances of Iliotibial band friction syndrome (ITBS), this condition can cause hip and knee pain and is common in runners although it can affect anyone.
How to stretch your IT Band:
- Start by lying on one side.
- Keep your bottom knee bent for stability
- Reach back and grab the ankle of your upper leg and bend your knee. You should feel tightness in the front of your thigh (the quadriceps muscle). (You could use a band to help you hold this foot if needed)
- Softly rest the foot of your bottom leg on top of your upper knee.
- Use the foot on top of your knee to gradually pull your upper knee down towards the floor. You should feel a pulling sensation on the side of your kneecap where the IT band crosses the knee joint.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds, and then relax.
- Repeat this stretch three to five times a couple of times a day for the rest results.