Home » Pilates Stretch – QL long sitting stretch
- November 26, 2020
The Quadratus Lumborum or QL is one of the deepest abdominal muscles, it is located at the back of the abdominal wall and is used in stabilising the trunk during sitting, standing and walking. Because this muscle is key to so many movements it often gets over used and a bit tight.
This long sitting stretch is great for stretching out your lower back and relieving lower back pain.
- Sit with one leg straight out to one side
- Bend your other leg so your foot is against the straight leg
- Allow your knee to fall out to the side (place a cushion under this knee if needed for support)
- Rest your hand on the thigh of your straight leg and bring your other had up and over your head in an arc
- Turn your left shoulder to face away from your right leg
- Keeping this rotation lean sideways over the straight leg
- You should feel the stretch in your lower trunk
- Hold for 20 seconds repeat twice on each side