- January 14, 2021
The BIG Squeeze!
Not exactly a stretch but this Pilates exercise helps to stabilise your lumbar spine and strengthen your glutes, hamstrings and adductors. At the same time it helps to lengthen your psoas, TFL, rectus abdominus and abductors.
This is a good exercise for those who take part in cycling, swimming and running because it helps with knee and low-back pain common for this types of sports.
- Lie on your front and engage your core muscles, pulling your ribs down towards your hips
- Place a narrow cushion between your thighs and groin
- Turn your feet out and place your palms under your forehead
- Keep your elbows wide and relaxed
- Inhale to prepare
- Exhale and squeeze the cushion, hold for 10 / 20 seconds
- Inhale release
- Repeat 6 times
** To increase this movement you can lift your feet off the ground, make sure your hips stay in contact with the floor and feet turned out.
Below are a few things to watch out for as you perform this Pilates exercise:
- Avoid pushing your stomach into the ground, keep your core engaged
- Keep your back long and strong throughout the exercises
- Keep your feet turned out